Saturday, May 17, 2008

Best Speller







School is winding down and as the year comes to an end, so comes the annual event every parent looks forward to- Awards Day! The day to see your child handed a certificate of some type which you take lots of pictures of and then neatly file away (or scrapbook if you're in to that) so your child will always have it in years to come. Friday was Awards Day at Alyssa's school for her Pod. I had bought the cutest blue (her favorite color) dress with matching blue glittery flip flops and I could see her in it as the guy at Gap Kids was ringing me up! We were ready. Fast forward to Thursday afternoon (the day before Awards Day!) and she brings home a note that reads...."We have decided to wear our t-shirts we made on Awards Day so please send your child in jeans or a skirt.".... JEANS and a T-SHIRT!!! For Awards Day??? I am crushed! There goes the perfect blue dress hanging in the closet. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all about Alyssa's artistic side and showing off her work, but on a Hanes 3 pack t-shirt on Awards Day? No, and certainly not in jeans! So off we head to Target to at least find a skirt so I'm not completely scarred at having to send Alyssa in jeans. So Friday morning comes and I get her ready for the Big Day. Nanny, Jill and Josh, me and her daddy and sisters are all going to be there for her 12 seconds of fame! :) They go by classes and hers is the second class to be awarded individually. They get to her friend Brian Jones and she is next, Alyssa Kelley.... "All A Honor Roll (thats my girl!), 50 point club (the Accelerated Reader program), and Best Speller Award" We clap like she's won an oscar and is accepting it in a Target skirt and handmade t-shirt! Yep, that is our Alyssa. While she may never win an athletic scholarship, she is very studious! And, her t-shirt she made....well, I don't think she could have looked cuter- even in the perfect blue dress!

No comments: