Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lessons In Generosity From Anniston

I learn so much from each of my daughters. I learn a lot about courage and taking chances and trying new things and meeting new people through Alyssa. And from Anniston, I learn the art of caring and giving. Last night I witnessed a "give where it hurts" moment from her. We were at CiCi's Pizza for school spirit night. My mom had handed out one dollar to each of the girls. I had already told them that was all they were getting because it was late and we needed to get home. So off they went to the corner of the restaraunt which houses the money eating machines, also known as the arcade. You can imagine how long a dollar a piece lasted them. 90 seconds later, they both come running out. Alyssa, of course had spent hers entirely and had two tootsie rolls in exchange for her four quarters. Anniston had hit the jackpot with a little blue elephant the size of a large marble. She was already naming her new best friend and still holding three quarters. Alyssa started in on wanting more money. I reminded her that I had told her that we had to go and she wasn't getting any more. Anniston immediately, without hesitation, said, "Here Sissy! You can have these!" and handed over all three shiny silver quarters to her sister. Wes and I looked at one another with our hearts melting. Here was Anniston, who had only spent one of her quarters, was so willing to give to someone else. And with such generosity. I looked at Alyssa with a look to say, "You better say thanks and appreciate what your little sister just did and remember how stinking sweet she is to you!". Alyssa reciprocated the generosity by giving Anniston 1 of her 3 quarters back (note the hint of sarcasm here!). Yes, I would like to think of myself as a generous person. I take the stained, missing buttons clothes to Goodwill. I donate toys we no longer play with or need or have room for. But do I give where it hurts? No, to be honest. Not the way I should. But I saw a 4 year old do it without thinking twice and I saw the happiness it brought to her. I learned a valuable lesson at CiCi's pizza, one I hope to never forget.
Life Forever Pictures, Images and Photos

No comments: