Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dannit and Broken Pinkie

I had planned to blog about our Disney trip but I had to write about a couple of funny incidents from my day- both involving our blond, witty, stubborn, second child Anniston. First, we were on our way to run errands and I decided to swing in Walgreen's and check the Red Box for Seven Pounds. (The Red Box is a big Coke machine that dispenses movies and I think its one of the greatest concepts to date and Seven Pounds is a Will Smith movie that was released today and I really like Will Smith movies. Lets face it, he was basically the only actor in I Am Legend and who can hold a two hour movie by themselves? Besides Tom Hanks?) Anyway, Anniston asked if she and Alyssa could watch the movie. I told her no, it wasn't a movie kids could watch.

"Why? Is it scary?" she asked.

"No, not really...I don't think." Knowing she would need a REASON why she couldn't watch it I added, "I think it has bad words in it."

"Well, I don't say bad words. But my friend E. does." Ratting out her friend....

"Oh...." I figure she is referring to the words "Stupid", or even worse..."Butt" or (gasp) "Fart"- all BAD words at our house...

"He does say bad words. When he messes up his pictures he says bad words." She was throwing him under the bus...

"Well, what does he say? Stupid?" I'm kind of curious now. Obviously she is in awe that he is cool enough to say "bad" words....

"No! He says a BAD word..."

"Well, I tell you what...you come whisper in my ear what he says but we won't say it ever again, okay?" Because I really want to know what this WORD is!!!

Anniston hesitated long enough to make sure I was seriously going to ALLOW her to say a bad word. Then she whispered in my ear, "When he messes up his picture he says 'Dannit'."

"Oh!" Not exactly the word "butt" I was expecting! "Well, that's not nice to say so lets make sure we don't use that word...."

She assured me she wouldn't. And I believe her. For now. There will come a day I'm sure where my innocent Anniston will let a real "bad" word fly. I may or may not be close enough to hear it. She's human. I just hope it isn't in Sunday School...

I think next time I walk into a door facing and almost break 3 toes I'll scream, "Dannit" just for the fun of it!


And now on to more serious business-and please don't report me for this blog or I'll delete it so it can't be used against me. Anniston has become- well, to put it bluntly- quite bratty since turning 5. I don't know if she got too much royal treatment in Disney or if she feels more important now that she is a year older. Either way, she's been extremely demanding and impatient lately. So I have been doing what any good Southern mother would do- spanking her bottom (yes, that's "bottom", not "butt"). Well, today when she went into complete meltdown mode because whatever she wanted didn't happen immediately, I went to swat her backside with my palm. She put her hand in protective mode on her rear with her fingers pointing out so when I spanked her I hit one of her fingers first. Of course it was the pinkie. I knew when it happened it probably hurt (now, let me clarify, I wasn't spanking her hard at ALL, just getting her attention and trying to halt the whiny fit she was on the verge of having). She stopped the tantrum but the tears turned real and she said "You hurt my finger." Yes, crap Mom- that's how I felt. I looked at it and it looked a little red. I didn't let her see my guilt though. I said, "Well, if you're going to throw a fit you are going to be spanked and I wouldn't but my hand back there if I were you." Although I really wanted to beg for her forgiveness. What kind of mom breaks their kids fingers?! I convinced myself it was crooked and broken and they would of course take all my children once we took Anniston to the ER and told them how her pinkie was broken. About that time Wes walked in and gave it a moments glance and said, "It's fine." Whew! We get to keep them another day! Then our friends from Georgia got here and the kids were running around playing and Anniston fell and hurt her fingers. I hope it isn't broken....

2 comments:

Melissa said...

You make me giggle, "they would of course take all my children". I'm glad that sweet little pinkie is okay.

Dusty Brown said...

It just about kills me, but a pop is the only thing that works sometimes.