Monday, February 16, 2009

Ditch Doctor Wes Doesn't Do Puke

My husband told me last night on the phone that he "admired" me. Not because I found cancer's cure or wrote a bestseller or entrepreneured a big business. Because I'd cleaned up more puke than anyone should have to ever clean up the past week. Wow- and he "admired" that! I mean, that's definitely a pretty low job on the totem pole...maybe right above or below scrubbing the toilets at a fast food joint or gas station. Probably right there with one another. You see, he is a Ditch Doctor- a term he used the other night to describe what he does. He responds to emergency calls and helps bring people back from (almost) dead and keeps them alive until delivering them to a waiting doctor. He has seen more than I care to imagine- death, wrecks, mangled and broken bodies, open wounds, heart attacks, seizures, and I'm sure he could give you more details. Details I do not care to hear or think about at all! He flies with the worst of the worst patients on LifeFlight and puts himself at risk to get them where they need to be- quickly. I think all the admiration falls on him. But he appreciates (and even admires!) the fact that I stay home and run the daily household business which includes our 3 girls and whatever comes with that. Which this past week included puke. Lots of puke. And puke is one thing he "just can't handle". Go figure....

No comments: