Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"I Don't Need Your Rocking Chair"

I never rocked my babies. Gasp. I know. What kind of mother am I? The kind the didn't rock my babies. Now, I'm all for rocking babies, especially other peoples babies. I am selfish though. I stayed home with them all day and nursed them all day and by bedtime I wanted to put them to bed and not have to rock them for however long people rock babies. It hit me that I wasn't a "rocker" today as I tucked Ayden Claire in for her nap. She's so good it probably should be a sin to even tell you how easy it is to tuck her in.
Step 1- Turn her sound machine on and walk towards her bed while holding her.
Step 2- Catch her as she tries to throw herself into the baby bed. Steal a hug and kiss.
Step 3- Lay her down on her pillow and cover her up.
Step 4- Tell her "Good night"
Seriously. That's it. And not a peep until she wakes up. Same steps at bedtime too. Alyssa was about that easy. Anniston- not anywhere near that easy. She would scream for at least 10 minutes before she would lay down and go to sleep. She's always been a little strong willed. Or maybe she just wanted to be rocked.
Although I'm not a rocker, I am whole-heartily, definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, without question a "cuddler". I cuddle my kids all day any chance I get. I love to hold them and kiss their cheeks and stroke their hair. "Cuddling" is one of our family's favorite past times. Alyssa and Anniston will even say, "I want to cuddle with you, Mommy (or Daddy)." My love language is definitely "touch". I guess I know they are only "cuddle-able" for so long and I know I will miss just getting to hold them. Nothing brightens my day more than a hug from one of my girls- or their daddy. So, I apologize now, girls, for not rocking you as babies. I hope you will remember all the hugs and leg rubs you got as little girls though and I hope you remember the love you felt while I held you. I hope that you felt safe and unconditionally loved...and I hope you know that I was probably trying to hold onto whatever age/stage you were at that time. If you would ever like me to make up the rocking thing to you though, I'd be glad to.

1 comment:

The Fay's said...

jksavage_143@hotmail.comsweet, sweet girls. it is funny that they all like to have their armpits rubbed. cute.