Sunday, September 13, 2009

Anniston Goes to Kindergarten







Anniston started kindergarten this year. Talk about excited! She was thrilled to find out her teacher would be Mr. Hodum, the same teacher Alyssa had. She let me walk her in the first day but requested to be "dropped off" on day 2. :( She was so proud of her new found independence. Anniston is having a great year so far. She got Student of the Week the 2nd week of school and I was so proud of her! She is a sweet girl at school (and at home most of the time...) and has made some new friends. I haven't worried about her a bit- she is at, I'm convinced, one of the BEST schools. Its kindergarten through 2nd grade so Alyssa just spent 3 wonderful years there. Coosada has the most loving and caring people working there- from the principal, to the teachers to the PE coaches and librarians to the counselors. I've never seen a school genuinely care about the kids as much as they do! I could sing Coosada praises all night- anyway, I'm very happy she's there and I know she is going to learn and grow so much! I can't wait to see what the year has in store for her! I'll leave you with a poem that Mr. Hodum passed out at Open House. I just love it and the philosophy behind it-

"Just Playing" By Anita Wadley

When I'm building in the block area, please don't say, "I'm just playing."
For, you see, I'm learning as I play about balance and shapes.

When I'm getting all dressed up, setting the table, caring for the babies,
Don't get the idea I'm "just playing" - I may be a mother or father someday.

When you see me up to my elbows in paint,
Or standing at an easel, or molding and shaping clay,
Please don't let me hear you say, "He's just playing."
For, you see, I'm learning as I play. I'm expressing myself and being creative.
I may be an artist or inventor someday.

When you see me sitting in a chair "reading" to an imaginary audience,
Please don't laugh and think I'm "just playing."
For, your see, I'm learning as I play. I may be a teacher someday.

When you see me combing the bushes for bugs,
Or packing my pockets with choice things I find,
Don't pass it off as "just playing."
For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I may be a scientist someday.

When you see me engrossed in a puzzle, or "plaything" at school,
Please don't feel the time is wasted in "play."
For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I'm learning to solve problems and concentrate. I may be in business someday.

When you see me cooking or tasting foods,
Please don't think that because I enjoy it, it is just "play."
For, you see, I'm learning how my body works.
I may be a doctor, nurse, or athlete someday.

When you ask me what I've done at school today, and I say "I played,"
Please don't misunderstand me.
For, you see, I'm learning as I play.
I'm learning to be successful in work.
I'm preparing for tomorrow.
Today, I'm a child and my work is play.


Doesn't that just sum up Kindergarten? :)

No comments: